Wednesday, March 15, 2006

WBC???

Rangers kept things close against SF but lose 3-2. The good news about it was that Danks didn’t look too bad at all.
Recap


The WBC is going on and I have to say my interest in this is declining a bit. I was at first very excited saying things like: “ The season starts a month early with a big competition against the rest of the planet. This oughta be good!” Now, I’m finding that there may be a televised game on a Tuesday afternoon sandwiched between the androgynous womens armwrestling match and two white guys boxing. I really want to be into this, but it's pretty tough to follow anything but the following day's headlines without an XM radio at work. I find myself now attempting to wait patiently for opening day to get here and refocus on spring training.

Meanwhile, anticipation over the rotation is crazy. I know I am one of the few here, but could The Rocket coming to the Ballpark be a good thing? Now before we REALLY get into this let me say that YES he's a great pitcher, YES he'll end up in Cooperstown, and YES we could benefit a little in the short term by getting him in the lineup. The question here becomes (at least to me) what is our motivation behind this?.... is it to win or to put butts in the seats? This would be a massive investment in a guy that would start once every blue moon and I can't seem to find anyone that is not just completely enamored with this idea. I beg you the fan with an opinion to give me some ideas as to why I should not see this as an attempt to change the objective of the team philosophy yet again. I may be wrong but concentrating on our farm system and promoting from within as was the agenda last season could be hampered seriously by overpaying for an aging superstar whose intentions are perhaps more financial than anything else. Help me understand!!

~Tom

No comments: